Sunday, May 12, 2013

It's JUST Elementary School

I hear this a lot, as well. "Don't worry....it's JUST elementary school." In a way, I can understand where this is coming from: young children aren't capable of producing the same technical level of music that high schoolers are, however, elementary students are certainly as capable (if not more) of meeting their potential to succeed. 

I believe in giving the upmost to the youngest children. And, I expect them to do their very best musicking in a developmentally appropriate way (although it's important to remember that this doesn't always happen). As referenced in the previous post, I don't rely on the "cuteness factor" of kids...I expect excellent effort and achievement from the students, and I hope my programs can be evaluated on genuine music making. 

Again, this is a major issue for the music education profession where...by and large...the "glory" jobs are the high school positions. Elementary teachersare often forgotten about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment