Sunday, May 12, 2013

That's SO CUTE!

I hear this a lot after programs: "The kids were so cute." This, frankly, is offensive. Although I understand kids are naturally cute, I work to educate children musically--this is my focus. My place in the school is not the provider of "cute" programs for parents, or "fun" assemblies for the school as a whole. My job is certainly not to provide a time for kids to kick back and relax--a release period.

Whenever I'm getting bogged down with administrative tasks, or having trouble getting something going, I'm often reminded by folks, "It's about the kids--focus on the kids and you'll be able to muscle through the unpleasant stuff." Yet, many of these same people quickly talk about how "cute" the kids were after we present a program. If it were about the "kids," I would hear comments about their learning, their efforts, their accomplishments, and their progress. Discussing "cuteness" is about the adults.

I think this issue also falls back on us music educators. When we are programing music, are we really planning for the kids? Or...is it serve some personal or community need?

No comments:

Post a Comment